After the crew of Humanity 1 rescued 33 persons from distress at sea and spotted two dead bodies, the Italian authorities detained the rescue vessel of SOS Humanity for 60 days on February 13. Since December, three Justice Fleet vessels have been detained, keeping the fleet’s rescue ships out of operation for a combined total of 95 days. As several hundred people have already been reported dead or missing in the Mediterranean this year, the Italian government’s obstruction policy is consciously putting more lives at risk, the Justice Fleet alliance says.
“Just a few days ago we not only saved the lives of 33 people but also found two dead bodies floating in the sea, just right in front of us”, says Viviana di Bartolo, search and rescue coordinator on board. “Our rescue ship Humanity 1 could be back in the Central Mediterranean now – but Italian authorities have decided to detain us in port – and leave more people to die out there!”

Credits: Sinawi Medine/SOS Humanity
The detention came after the crew refused to communicate with the Libyan maritime authorities, which the Justice Fleet alliance considers to be an illegitimate actor at sea. “The so-called Libyan coastguard is composed of violent militias with a track record of severe human rights abuses against refugees and attacks against search and rescue crews,” says Wasil Schauseil, spokesperson of SOS Humanity. “They are violating international law while we are being punished by the Italian authorities for upholding it. We will not let this decision stand — we will go to court.”
This third detention of a Justice Fleet vessel follows the detention of Sea-Watch 5 on January 31 for 15 days and the Humanity 1 on December 9, 2025 for 20 days.
Meanwhile, the Italian government is further escalating the obstruction of humanitarian search and rescue in the Mediterranean. With a new bill, Meloni’s administration is planning a sea blockade for NGO ships: They may be barred from entering Italian territorial waters for up to six months if the authorities deem there to be a “security risk”.
The detentions of the Justice Fleet vessels followed severe storms caused by cyclone “Harry”. Since mid-January, monitoring groups have reported hundreds of people missing after departing from the Tunisian coast. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) also reported another shipwreck last week with at least 53 fatalities.
Data from the International Organisation for Migration shows that in 2026 at least 484 migrants were reported dead or missing following multiple shipwrecks in the Central Mediterranean amid extreme weather, with hundreds more deaths believed to be unrecorded.

Credits: Sinawi Medine/SOS Humanity
Further information
More information on the Justice Fleet can be found here.
A list of extreme acts of violence committed by Libyan militias can be found here.
Photo and video material from the Sea-Watch 5 rescue can be found here.
Further information on the detention of Sea-Watch 5 can be found on the Sea-Watch website under News.
Kontakt:
Wasil Schauseil
SOS Humanity Pressesprecher
+49 (0) 157 85060814
info@justice-fleet.org
Ina Friebe
Pressesprecherin Justice Fleet
+4930120821923
info@justice-fleet.org

